Where is Somaliland
Restore vocational training in Somalia
Brief description of the project
Description: Reconstruction of vocational education and training in Somalia
Client:Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Co-financed by: European Union
Lead executing agency:Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (Federal Government); Ministry for National Planning and Development ("Somaliland")
Total duration:2018 to 2022
The vocational training system in Somalia was well developed until the state system collapsed in 1991. The civil war that followed weakened political and social structures, including the education system. The level of education of an entire generation is low. Youth unemployment is 67 percent. The vocational training system is highly fragmented, the framework conditions for a job market-oriented vocational training system are inadequate. There is also a lack of qualified teaching staff. The curricula of existing vocational training programs are often outdated and not in line with demand. In addition, the participation of companies is insufficient. The private sector is dominated by micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) that show little interest in vocational training. As a result, the labor market's demand for skilled workers cannot be met.
The demand on the labor market for skilled workers was met in selected areas of Somalia.
The project will initially be implemented in Hargeisa (Somaliland), Garowe (Puntland), Kismayo (Jubbaland) and in the capital Mogadishu. The measure includes various labor market-oriented qualification offers.
This is done through three fields of action:
- The skills of selected vocational training centers are improved and training programs geared to the labor market are carried out. Certain vocational training centers in the project regions are supported in implementing training and further education offers.
- The quality of the training programs for selected occupational profiles is increased through the implementation of modular training programs.
- Content-related requirements are created for job-market-oriented vocational training. For this purpose, structure-building units are being developed for the establishment of a uniform vocational training system in Somalia.
The Internationaler Bund (IB) is realizing the first field of action in cooperation with the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. It encompasses the areas of awareness raising, career guidance, school management and school development.
A steering group was set up with representatives from almost all of Somalia's states. Somaliland sees itself as an independent state and has set up its own advisory group. However, Somaliland is not recognized as an independent state under international law. The task of the steering group is to promote the political dialogue, to provide input to the project, to advise it, to exchange information on the progress of the project, to make suggestions to the project management, to receive and discuss evaluation results. The Somalia steering group has decided that all objectives of the EU introductory phase of the project have been completed. A strategy for the next steps was also adopted.
In Somaliland, Puntland and Jubaland one vocational training center was selected and will be restored in the course of the project.
An advisory group has been set up at the sub-state level and meets at regular intervals. Employment and labor market analyzes were carried out in the respective sub-states. They also provide information about existing and necessary job profiles. A total of six job profiles have been defined for short and long-term training.
The aim of two study trips to Germany was to get to know the dual vocational training system and its actors and, based on this, to develop a vision for Somalia. Members of the federal government, members of the state government of the Benadir region and Somaliland as well as representatives of the private sector took part.
- How do human hair extensions work
- Are you still calling your ex?
- Why can't missiles fly over land?
- Why can't we drink salt water
- How to Buy Foreign Property in Japan
- What does this German title mean
- Who implemented GST
- What does salicylic acid do against wrinkles
- Classes in 12th grade are necessary
- How does that teach military leadership
- Look aside what makes a guy hot
- What are the most beautiful Jewish holidays
- How is the mineral uptake in plants
- What influences you to buy online
- What are some models with crooked teeth
- Who was Frigg's father in Norse mythology
- Where is the energy in ATP
- Sweating is not harmful to your health
- Which means by no means necessary
- What did you find very different today?
- How can anyone trust Alex Jones Infowars
- Josip Broz Tito is an overrated leader
- Can we learn to forget our memories
- How do I build a transistor radio