Why is ammonia not oxidized with oxygen?
The Ostwald method is used for the large-scale production of nitric acid by oxidation of ammonia, which is preferably obtained by the Haber-Bosch process. It goes back to the German chemist Wilhelm Ostwald.
The process consists of three sub-steps:
In the first step the ammonia (NH3) with oxygen (O2) in the presence of a platinum-rhodium catalyst (in newer systems, a special recovery network is used to recover the expensive platinum) at 600 to 700 ° C to water (H.2O) and nitrogen monoxide (NO) implemented. The gas mixture may only touch the catalytic converter for a very short time - only about a thousandth of a second - since otherwise the nitrogen monoxide will break down again into the elements.
- 4 NH3 + 5 O2 → 4 NO + 6 H2O
In step 2, the temperature of the nitrogen monoxide (NO) drops to below 50 ° C and another oxidation with oxygen (O2) to nitrogen dioxide (NO2) from.
- 2 NO + O2 → 2 NO2
In the third step, this is converted into nitric acid (ENT) in trickle towers with water3) implemented. Nitrogen monoxide (NO) and nitrous acid (ENT) are formed as intermediate products2).
- 2 NO2 + H2O → ENT3 + ENT2
- 3 ENT2 → ENT3 + 2 NO + H2O
- 2 NO + O2 → 2 NO2(like step 2)
The 3rd step can be summarized as follows:
- 4 NO2 + O2 + 2 H.2O → 4 ENT3(aq)
An undesirable side reaction that also takes place without a catalyst is the oxidation of ammonia to elemental nitrogen with the formation of water:
- 4 NH3 + 3 O2 → 2 N2 + 6 H.2O
The reaction is suppressed by the highest possible network temperature and low pressure.
- F. Kuhlmann: Justus Liebigs Ann. Chem. 29, 272-279 (1839)
Category: Chemical-technical process
- How do I overcome kidney damage
- What makes an explosion so massive
- What is vertigo
- How was ADHD treated in the 1980s
- When did restaurants show up
- What is a capillary tube
- How Christmas is celebrated in your college
- Why is traffic in Austin, Texas so congested
- Work bureaucrats for us
- Can toilet rolls be recycled?
- How do Trump supporters treat Russian immigrants
- What is a CV blast
- Will kill Arya Cersei
- Why are there things
- Which countries can Americans not go to?
- What is Russia next
- How does the Golang Scheduler work
- Can you learn to be wise
- What is chromic acid
- What does Babson MBA
- What is the purpose of a chandelier
- Do video games really count as exercise
- Where can I get discounted pet supplies
- What are your sexting stories