Firewalking is possible in physics
Why can one walk over glowing coals, as is customary with fakirs?
Like so many things, it has to do with physics. More precisely: with good and bad heat conductors. Metal and water, for example, are good conductors of heat. Wood and coal are bad.
You would quickly find out what good and bad heat conduction means if you put your hand first in a 90 degree hot sauna (i.e. in air) and then in 90 degree hot water. You wouldn't do the latter a second time, because water is a very good conductor of heat and the pain would be unbearable immediately. Air, on the other hand, is a poor conductor of heat. Most people can easily stand a quarter of an hour in a 90 degree sauna. Nevertheless: the air in the sauna and the water in the saucepan have the same temperature. Only: It feels different - depending on whether the person touches a good or bad heat conductor.
Coals are poor conductors of heat: you have to stand on them for a while before they are perceived as hot. But that's not what a fakir does when running over glowing coals. He walks over the coals so quickly that the total time your feet are actually on the coals in a typical fire walk is perhaps a second. That is not enough for heat transfer.
In addition, the coals are often covered with a thin layer of ash, which provides additional insulation and makes them even worse conductors of heat. Conclusion: What firewalkers do is not incredibly tricky or even superhuman. But of course you can always marvel and admire them.
The question was answered by Dorothee Menhart, science journalist and editor at Wissenschaft im Dialog.
- Whiplash 2014 film, Fletcher is gay
- Is Trump a black swan
- When was cement invented?
- Who is Prof. Thomas Cormen
- How can I smartly eat a kiwi
- Why is artificial intelligence a threat?
- What's the scariest pet you've ever seen
- Will NEET 2020 still be offline
- Is school really important for JEE preparation?
- How much HP is 1600cc
- What is SpaceX's mission
- What is the German translation of nothing
- Are there positive aspects of companies
- More ad impressions mean more money
- How should I stop worrying about friends?
- What does Photoshop image masking mean
- Is it illegal to take roadkill home with you?
- What is EBIDTA by SaaS companies
- How are custom t-shirts made
- What's yours I hate when people
- What is the sunniest European city
- What sets Beyonce apart from other artists
- Should I finish my accounting major?
- Why does solopreneurship get so hot