Why was the integrated circuit needed
Integrated circuits (IC)
Many circuits or circuit parts occur again and again in practical electronics. So that these, sometimes complex, circuits do not have to be rebuilt or invented over and over again, they are combined in integrated circuits (IS = Integrated Circuit) and encapsulated in a housing.
Integrated Circuit Benefits
- space saving
- operationally reliable
Disadvantages of integrated circuits
- defective IC difficult to detect
- a special tool is required for desoldering
- difficult procurement of spare parts due to the wide range of types (special types)
Analog ICs mainly contain high and low frequency amplifiers, controllable amplifiers, mixers, filter circuits, operational amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, power amplifiers, reference voltage sources, voltage regulators, sample / hold, actuator (motion control) and sensor circuits.
Coils (gyrators) with very high inductance and very high quality and capacitors with very high capacitance are simulated by circuits with operational amplifiers, resistors and capacitors with low capacities. These circuits are suitable for signal processing purposes, but not for large currents and large powers.
A circuit acts like a coil when the voltage leads the current by 90 ° (phase shift).
A circuit acts like a capacitor when the current leads the voltage by 90 ° (phase shift).
Digital ICs contain circuits that process digital states and contain logical links from digital technology.
They are manufactured using bipolar or MOS technology. MOS circuits are particularly cheap to manufacture and have a lower power consumption.
Monolithic integrated circuits
The planar technology makes it possible to accommodate all components of a circuit in one manufacturing process on a silicon plate, the so-called chip. Since the components in an IC have no external connections, one speaks of switching or functional elements.
Degree of integration
The degree of integration describes the number of transistors in an integrated circuit. Instead of transistors, logic gates can also be meant. One then speaks of logical complexity. There is no fixed standard unit for the integration density.
The LSI and VLSI integration levels require computer-aided design methods (e.g. CAD).
- SSI (Small Scale Integration)
Up to 100 functional elements on a chip area of 3 mm2.
Applications: digital gates (logic elements)
- MSI (Medium Scale Integration)
Up to 1,000 functional elements on a chip area of 8 mm2.
Applications: analog-digital combined circuits
- LSI (Large Scale Integration)
Up to 100,000 functional elements on a chip area of 20 mm2.
Applications: analog-digital combined circuits, memories, microprocessors
- VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration)
Over 100,000 functional elements on a chip area of 30 mm2.
Applications: memories, microprocessors
- ULSI (Ultralarge Scale Integration)
1,000,000 to 10,000,000 functional elements
Other related topics:
The electronics company's original equipment
What every electronics technician needs: An electronics range with over 1,300 electronic components so that you have everything you need for every application.
- 30 different resistance values (600 pieces in total)
- 30 different ceramic capacitors (300 pieces in total)
- 12 different electrolytic capacitors (120 pieces in total)
- 8 different diodes (100 pieces in total)
- 17 different transistors (170 pieces in total)
- 5 different LEDs in size 3 mm and 5 mm in the colors 5 colors red, green, blue, yellow and white (200 pieces in total)
Order electronics assortment now
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
- Can I do a retrospective press release?
- What is brown mustard made of
- Are all animals vertebrates? If so, how
- How can I franchise the FirstCry business
- How economy is the key to prosperity
- What is the cause behind the Bermuda Triangle
- Fasting increases hunger resistance
- How can you develop your concentration?
- What is China's open door policy
- Male cockatiels get darker beaks
- How the student thinks of the teacher
- Are car umbrellas allowed or legal
- Why do I often get migraines
- What is transgender surgery
- A payment gateway can affect business
- How did Edward II die
- What would a US surrender look like?
- Do you remember the ALF Christmas offer?
- What are some good math tutoring
- Why are Koenigseggs not popular
- What common mistakes do home sellers make?
- How secular is Argentina
- Is Thanos an Adolf Hitler like a super villain
- What are the uses of fire
- What is the best 3D printer under 500
- Makes the EPA laws
- Why I always forget words while studying
- A student can avail 2 educational loans
- Should I wear a tie to church
- The Hindu population in Fiji is on the decline
- How suspicious are you
- How do bicycle power meters work
- Can a stainless steel pan be seasoned