How do ingrown nails occur?
Ingrown nail (Unguis incarnatus): Finger or toenail that has grown into the nail fold, with or without accompanying painful inflammation. The big toe is most commonly affected. Nail ingrowth is promoted by improper nail care and too tight shoes. The treatment consists of special bandages, plastic splints or nail braces; in pronounced cases, the nail has to be operated on.
- Ingrown nail
- Strong pain
- Possibly red, swollen, tender nail wall
- Sometimes also purulent papules.
When to the doctor
In the next days
- at the above signs.
The ingrowth of nail edges into the surrounding areas of the skin is most common on the big toes. In addition to ingrowth, there is often purulent inflammation with reddening, swelling, throbbing pain and pus discharge.
Younger people between the ages of 14 and 25 are particularly affected, men somewhat more often than women. Causes and facilitating factors are
- wrong pedicure, round trimming of toenails
- shoes that are too tight
- Nail disease.
The ingrown nail is a visual diagnosis.
Differential diagnoses. Depending on the extent of ingrowth and accompanying inflammation, an ingrown nail can resemble black skin cancer (malignant melanoma) or squamous cell carcinoma on the nail.
In the case of an ingrown nail, the doctor must both correct the nail position and contain the existing inflammation.
Tape bandage. In mild cases, the doctor applies a tape dressing that pulls the inflamed nail wall away from the nail with adhesive plaster strips.
Alternatively, he brings a small one Plastic split pin in the side fold of the nail to encourage normal nail growth.
Nail correction brace. The nail brace is a narrow wire that is individually adapted and - depending on the initial situation - glued to the nail for several weeks to a year. At the edge of the nail, a small hook is hooked under the nail edge so that the nail is easily lifted and the surrounding tissue is relieved. The nail braces regulate the nail position in a similar way to braces. An integrated loop allows the tensile force on the nail to be dosed and the direction of growth to be controlled until the nail grows straight again. The treatment with the nail correction brace can also be carried out by the medical podiatrist.
surgery. If the nail has grown deeply, surgical intervention is necessary. The doctor removes the overgrown flesh either with a scalpel, with cold (kyrotherapy) or with heat (electrocautery). This procedure is performed under local anesthesia. In the case of recurring complaints, a surgical procedure can be used Nail bed reduction (Emmert plastic, nail wedge excision), in which part of the nail including the nail root is removed. This makes the growing nail narrower. In newer surgical procedures, the nail plate is thinned and repeatedly ground down, which ultimately changes the appearance of the nail less than the reduction of the nail bed.
If there is an inflammation, the doctor treats it with antiseptic cotton rolls and loose bandages. He also often prescribes foot baths with potassium permanganate or quinolinol.
The earlier treatment begins, the easier it is to treat an ingrown nail. However, nail braces take time. In order to prevent the nail from growing in again, the patient must take care of suitable shoes and proper foot care (see your pharmacist recommends).
Your pharmacy recommends
What you can do yourself
If the nail is only slightly ingrown, a regular foot bath with curd soap, chamomile or 1% potassium permanganate solution is sufficient. After the footbath you can brush the excess "wild" meat with a silver nitrate pen (Höllenstein etching pen) and thus make it die off.
- Cut nails not round, but square and not too short
- Avoid tight shoes
- Regular medical foot care for elderly patients who cannot easily reach their own toes due to lack of mobility.
AuthorsDr. med. Arne Schäffler, Dr. Bernadette Andre-Wallis in: Health Today, edited by Dr. med. Arne Schäffler. Trias, Stuttgart, 3rd edition (2014). Revision and update: Dr. med. Sonja Kempinski | last changed on at 09:40
- What is the best farm management software
- What is the russian word for product
- How is heat generated by the sun
- What is your opinion on FinTech in India
- Does the world need more lawyers 1
- Are you a hip hop fan
- Where can an engineer learn accounting
- What does Lady Gaga say about sex
- Is dandruff a fungus
- What are H2H Payments
- How do I buy used test equipment
- Why would a narcissistic friend choose me
- Send televisions blue light
- Are OpenCV and CV2 the same
- Should I call HR or not
- Do you like stroopwafels
- Is immortality a punishment or a reward?
- How can I make my speeches dynamic
- Climbing polar bears on trees
- What does towel mean in Spanish
- Why was the National FFA Organization established
- Is the storage of DNA data overrated?
- You can have too many injections of rabies
- How do you pronounce Maybach correctly