How do you get back dissolved salt?
It is known only too well from films - castaways die of thirst in the open sea, even though they are surrounded by water. How is that possible? Why does salt water have a different effect on the body than drinking water? We have the answer!
Humans have to drink to survive. Within a few days without water we die of thirst. A certain amount of salt is also important for our body. Our organism is designed to keep the salt content in the blood at 0.9 percent. In order for our organs to function properly, the balance of our water-electrolyte balance must be maintained. Sea water, on the other hand, has a salinity of 3.5 percent. So if we drink too much seawater, the balance is seriously upset and in the worst case it can even lead to death.
A special process determines why our body cannot live on salt water in the long term: osmosis. It ensures that the salt is evenly distributed in our body. However, the salinity of sea water is far higher than the salinity of our blood. When we drink salt water, the body tries to compensate for and excrete the considerable excess of salt. However, the kidneys can only cope with this if they are given enough fresh drinking water without salt.
In various magazines or online portals you read again and again about weight loss and purification methods that advise you to consume salt dissolved in water regularly. With such methods, however, extreme caution is required or not advisable at all, as dehydration can very quickly lead to further complications.
- Why do cats drool while petting?
- What is a project topic about ceramics
- May monkey music
- What motivates adults to learn
- What has changed after stopping fried foods?
- What is the sunniest European city
- Can you print printers that print printers
- What moves stock prices intraday or futures
- Why don't Americans wear speedometers
- What are hemp preparations used for?
- Which fruits are good for healthy eyes
- Eternal energy is possible
- Why does my heart beat irregularly from time to time
- Why is calculus taught so quickly
- Modafinil has long-term mental effects
- Has Zayn Malik left Islam
- How do you heal a neurosis yourself
- Who is the Indian President of 2018
- Scare you bridges
- How environmentally conscious are Croatians
- How does the Stitch Fix algorithm work
- How do they make dental implants
- What's in a Gmail
- What happens to the insects