Chocolate makes us fat
Chocolate doesn't make you fat
“As our study shows, chocolate can be beneficial in moderate amounts; however, excessive consumption is undoubtedly harmful, ”explain Magdalena Cuenca-García and her colleagues from the University of Granada. They asked 1,458 young people between the ages of 12 and 17 from nine European countries about their chocolate consumption. In doing so, they took into account all products that mainly consisted of chocolate. However, no distinction was made between whole milk and dark chocolate. In addition, the researchers determined the body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference of the test subjects and determined the body fat percentage using various methods. In addition, they assessed the physical activity of each adolescent using an accelerometer worn on the body for seven days.
The group that consumed the largest amount of chocolate at an average of 43 grams per day had a lower total fat percentage of body weight, less belly fat and a smaller waist size than the group with the lowest chocolate consumption of five grams per day. This relationship was independent of gender, age, total calorie intake and the level of physical activity. It persisted even when the consumption of other foods with a high flavonoid content - especially fruit, vegetables and tea - was taken into account in the statistical analysis.
The flavonoids contained in chocolate - mainly catechins - have various health-promoting properties: Among other things, they act as an antioxidant, are anti-inflammatory and lower blood pressure. In adults, a high catechin intake is associated with a lower BMI. This effect could be due to the fact that catechins influence cortisol production and the effectiveness of insulin, the researchers suspect. Therefore, the results of the study would also help to clarify which control mechanisms generally ensure a constant, optimal body weight.
- Toots Hibbert invented reggae
- Why was Joseph Stalin called Uncle Joe
- Can I have Alibaba patent a product?
- Why am I always angry and emotional
- How do online jobs really work?
- Can I get a place in RAIT
- What's the hardest part about acting
- How can I improve my speaking skills?
- What are the benefits of absorption costing
- Family nudity is a sin
- What is the significance of 1729
- Why has humanity changed over time
- How do I increase the stability of thoughts
- How to heal a sunburned nose
- What counts more food or love
- How were magnets invented
- What are the types of youngs module
- Are Jews more like Islam?
- Admission to the IP University is possible
- How are games designed for smartphones
- Where does iPhone store photos on PC
- Why was the Weimar Republic so unpopular
- What does fairness and justice mean
- Is there training to become a Python programmer
- What does a metric base unit mean
- Will Netflix overcome Bollywood in the near future
- How securely anonymous is Shazzle Mail
- What is the penalty for section 420
- How do you trigger a minority
- What is another nuclear accident supposed to stop?
- What is the technology behind screen mirroring
- How competitive are emergency medicine residency programs
- What is the difference between competence and competence