What is the 17th amendment

Apply for a driver's license at the age of 17: Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Main Department II, Vehicle Registration and Driving License Authority, Munich

You can only apply for your driving license in writing. To do this, you must completely fill out the application form for a driver's license with 17 in class B and / or BE in accordance with the regulations for "accompanied driving from 17 years of age", as well as the additional declaration for each accompanying person, sign it and send it to us with the required documents.

  • You are registered with your main residence in Munich.
  • You are at least 16 ½ years old when you apply
  • You name at least one accompanying person (at least 30 years old, in possession of a class B or class 3 driving license for five years, a maximum of one point in the central traffic register in Flensburg)

For the driving license to drive from 17:

• Fully completed and signed application form, issuing of a class B and / or BE driving license in accordance with the regulations for “accompanied driving from 17 years of age”. You can download the form under "Forms and Links". Please enclose the required documents with the application.
• a color copy of the side of your identity card, passport or foreign national passport showing your name, picture and ID number.
• Confirmation from the driving school with which you are registered
• Copy of your previous driver's license if you already have one
• Eye test certificate from an ophthalmologist or optometrist
• Proof of training in "first aid"
• Current biometric passport photo (35 x 45 millimeters)

For the accompanying person (s):

  • A completed and signed additional declaration for each accompanying person. You can download the form under "Forms and Links". Please read the information on this form carefully and enclose the required documents on the accompanying persons with the application.
  • Copy of identity card or passport
  • Copy of driver's license
  • only for old driving licenses (gray or pink) that were not issued by the driving license authority of the state capital of Munich: a copy of the index card that you can request by telephone from the authority that issued the driving license. From there, the copy of the index card should be sent directly to the driving license authority in Munich.

Note on the period of validity of evidence
  • Eye test by an ophthalmologist or optician: no older than two years when applying
  • Proof of training in "first aid": no time limit

General information:


After the written application has been submitted, your application will be processed and the accompanying person (s) will be checked. If the requirements are met, we will issue the test order to the responsible test center, your driving school can find out more there. If you are 17 years old on the day of the test and have only applied for class B, you will receive the test certificate from the examiner immediately after passing the test, which entitles you to drive.
If you have applied for your driver's license for more than one class or are not yet 17 years old, you will only receive a confirmation from the examiner that you have passed the test (theory and practice), which you have to present to the driving license authorities. You will receive the examination certificate there.

You are only now authorized to drive a motor vehicle, provided that one of the persons listed on the examination certificate is in the vehicle.

The examination certificate is valid up to the age of 18, but can be used for a maximum of three months afterwards.

When you reach the age of 18 and have previously successfully passed the theoretical and practical test, you will usually receive the EU driving license by post from the driving license authority of the City of Munich.
There are no additional fees for sending by post.

If, in individual cases, delivery by post is not possible, you will be informed in writing that the driver's license is ready for collection.
Collection is possible in person, but also by an authorized person; this requires your written power of attorney, your passport or identity card and an identification document from the authorized person.