Is cow's milk healthy
Milk - healthy or unhealthy?
Milk is the first food humans consume - a nutrient-rich essence from the mother's body that is perfectly tailored to the needs of the newborn. The whitish liquid is also one of the most versatile foods of all: There is hardly any raw material that humans have been making so many different products for thousands of years - from creamy yoghurt to fat cream, whey and spreadable butter, sour cream, kefir and quark to mild, spicy ones or spicy cheeses.
How healthy is milk?
Milk provides us with energy in the form of sugar and fat, is rich in protein, the most important building material for all body cells, as well as numerous vitamins and minerals (especially calcium, which is good for bones and teeth).
However, current studies cast doubt on whether it is unreservedly recommendable: it could be that excessive consumption leads to inflammatory reactions in the body and possibly accelerates aging processes.
Healthy through autumn and winter
You can read more about proper nutrition in the cold season in GEO WISSEN Nutrition No. 4: Healthy through autumn and winter - What is especially good for us now. You can conveniently order the magazine online.
Milk is by nature not a soft drink for adults, so it should not be drunk to quench thirst like water.
The German Nutrition Society therefore recommends moderate consumption: around 250 grams of low-fat milk (equivalent to about one glass) and two slices of cheese per day.
Why is milk white?
Tiny bundles of protein and globules of fat give milk its cloudy appearance. The fat provides most of the calories in dairy products; In cream, quark or cheese, fat sometimes makes up more than half of the energy content. Milk is also rich in vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and calcium.
The liquid also contains the sugar lactose. Infants can digest it easily, but many adults lose the ability to do so. If you consume too large amounts of dairy products, it rumbles inside you.
For a long time, milk was recommended as an unreservedly healthy food, but today the study situation is no longer so clear: Although milk seems to reduce the risk of high blood pressure, colon cancer and obesity slightly, some studies show that high consumption could promote prostate and ovarian cancer, among other things .
Are cheese, quark, and yogurt better than milk?
The consumption of cheese, quark and yoghurt, on the other hand, does not seem to be detrimental to health - and possibly also to benefit our psyche: Because the food contains microorganisms that can settle in our intestines and are apparently indirectly able to lift our mood, as studies have shown demonstrate.
Milk is a living liquid: numerous immune cells, bacteria and active enzymes swim in it. However, pathogens can easily multiply in raw milk. Anyone who is susceptible - such as pregnant women, small children and the chronically ill - should refrain from consuming raw milk and cheese made from it. Experts also recommend drinking raw milk from farmers only boiled.
More from GEO WISSEN Nutrition
- Which garbage goes to a landfill
- Should I listen to BBC Radio 4?
- What are the most important photos
- What is the Child Protection Act
- How long does bronchitis last with antibiotics
- Are Mazandarani Luri and Gilaki Persian dialects
- At what level should I record vocals?
- Simultaneous voting is good for democracy
- What do Facebook interns do
- How did Christianity change the world 1
- Can I eat potatoes and eggs together?
- Who are the founders of Cisco Systems
- 1 Hz corresponds to the number of decibels
- What is the principle of a rectifier
- What is a scottish kiss
- How does night vision work
- How do you see YouTube
- Why is the sustainability debate a global issue
- How moderate Republicans justify spending
- Why Indian Railways have a platform ticket
- Why is it not anhydrous
- Will Apple turn off the iPod
- What was your permission when you grew up
- Invested in ICOs classified as crowdfunding