Which department is best at CEG Guindy


Uniwersytet Jagiellonski (Jagiellonian University), Krakow (Poland)

The Jagiellonian University, founded in 1364 by the Polish King Kazimierz the Great (Kazimierz III Wielki) as the Cracow Academy, was the first European university to have independent chairs for mathematics and astronomy. Training in geodesy (surveying) began at the Kraków Academy as early as the 15th century. The book "Geometria Regis", written in Latin by Marcin Król from Zurawica (1422-1460?), A professor at the academy, is about this. (Handbook of Practical Geometry), which was published in Cracow in 1450. This work is considered to be the first technical book in Poland. The first work in the field of geodesy written in Polish is the book by another professor at the Academy, Stanislaw Grzepski (1524-1570), "Geometria, to jest Miernicka Nauka, po Polsku krótko napisana z Greckich iz Lacinskich ksiag" (Geometry, the is surveying, briefly written in Polish from Greek and Latin works), published in 1566. It is the first Polish textbook for geodesy and at the same time the first technical book ever written in Polish.
In 1631, thanks to the efforts and on the initiative of Canon Jan Brozek (Joannes Broscius, 1585-1652) became a member of the Cracow Academy the first chair of geodesy in Poland (under the name: Chair for Practical Geometry) was founded. Geometry, geodesy, architecture and elements of mechanics were taught here. The chair was donated by Adam Strzalka (-> Fundatio Strzalkoviana), who also became its first head (followed by Pawel Herka).
Jan Brozek, mathematician, astronomer and theologian, graduate and later professor of the Cracow Academy (also its rector in the last year of his life) also taught geodesy himself at the chair in the years 1635-36. In addition to theoretical work in the fields of number theory, geometry, geodesy, but also medicine and theology, he carried out practical surveying work on the Slawków and Jodlownik estates, as well as drawing up plans for the mines in Wieliczka and Bochnia. He has also published several specialist books and publications on geodesy, e.g. `` Geodaesia distantiarum sine instrumento ... '' in 1610, `` Czy geometrzy wiecej anizeli astronomowie pomagaja sprawom publicznym "(" Whether geometers support public affairs more than astronomers ") by 1616, in which he lists many practical applications of geometry and claims that astronomy derives from geometry, as the geometry of the sky. Around 1629 he published the first supplement to the geometry of Stanislaw Grzepski ( Przydatek pierwszy do Geometrii Polskiej Stanislawa Grzepskiego " ).
The teaching at the Department of Geodesy was of a high standard. It was important not only to use the latest textbooks in the areas of trigonometry, metrology, gnomonic and military construction, but also to field exercises using the latest and best surveying equipment. Jan Brozek has set up special funds for the acquisition of the latest works in the fields of mathematics and astronomy as well as new astronomical and geometric devices. The few graduates of the Department of Geodesy at the Cracow Academy held the title of royal geometer. The independent chair remained at the academy for about 150 years, until major reforms of the university, which were carried out by Hugo Kollataj.

The special stamp from 1981 on the 350th anniversary of the first chair of geodesy in Poland shows the coat of arms of the Jagiellonian University:






Akademia Górniczo-Hutnicza (Mining and Metallurgy Academy), Krakow (Poland)

The Berg- und Hüttenakaddemie (AGH) in Krakow is one of the largest, best and best known technical universities in Poland. It was founded by a resolution of the Council of Ministers on April 8, 1919. Today the university consists of 15 faculties, including the Faculty of Mountain Surveying and Environmental Engineering.
The independent Faculty of Mountain Surveying was founded on October 1, 1951 from two already existing departments: the Geodesy Department at the Faculty of Engineering and the Mountain Surveying Department at the Faculty of Geology and Surveying. In 1990 the faculty name was changed to its current form. The faculty currently consists of 9 chairs and so-called companies, including the chair for mountain surveying, the company for engineering surveying and construction, the company for photogrammetry and remote sensing informatics, and the company for geodesy and cartography. There are three fields of study: geodesy and cartography, mining and geology, and environmental engineering. From the beginning, the faculty has the authority to award doctoral degrees in the fields of geodesy and cartography.

In 1999 the 80th anniversary of the Berg- und Hüttenakademie was celebrated. On this occasion, a postcard was issued, among other things, dedicated to the Faculty of Mountain Surveying and Environmental Engineering (Wydzial Geodezji Górniczej and Inzynierii Srodowiska). The illustration shows the faculty's lacquer seal:

80 years of the mining and metallurgical academy in Krakow (Poland [1999])





Engineering school for water management, Schleusingen (Germany)

The later engineering school for water management was opened on October 15, 1897 under the name Wiesenbauschule Schleusingen (Thuringia) as a teaching institution of the Chamber of Agriculture for the province of Saxony. Along with Königsberg and Siegen, it was one of the three Prussian culture schools. The school trained meadow builders and amelioration technicians and also had an agricultural department. Regardless of her name, she soon taught all cultural-technical subjects and thus trained graduates who could be employed in administration, primarily as cultural building clerks, district meadow or district builders, in state or private settlement and in the private sector. The subjects taught also included surveying (?).
With the expansion of the training content, the name Wiesenbauschule was appropriately changed to Kulturbauschule and the associated recognition as a higher technical educational institution. After the school was closed due to the war, it was reopened in 1947 as a state engineering school for water management (and cultural technology as well as surveying?). In the winter semester of 1955, the engineering school in Schleusingen was then dissolved and its departments were integrated into the Magdeburg Technical University from 1956. Today, the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences, founded in 1991, continues the tradition of the Schleusingen Wiesenbauschule.






Ecole Speciale des Travaux Publics du Batiment et de l'Industrie (ESTP), Paris (France)

The École Spéciale des Travaux Publics du Batiment et de l'Industrie (ESTP) is a private and non-profit engineering school (grande école) in Paris and Cachan, in the Paris region, which specializes exclusively in construction. The ESTP was founded in 1891 by Léon Eyrolles on a private initiative with the aim of training generalist engineers for the then emerging industry. It received official state recognition in 1921. Since November 1999, the private non-profit company ESTP has been linked to another "Grande Ecole": the state Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers (ENSAM).
In addition to civil engineers for civil engineering, the ESTP also trains surveyors (engineer geomètre). Around 50% of the annual civil engineering graduates in France have studied at the ESTP. In the more than one hundred years of its existence, the ESTP has trained over 24,000 engineers and has earned its good reputation as the "Grande Ecole" for the next generation in the construction industry.
A stamp was dedicated to the university to mark its 100th anniversary:

100 years of the École Spéciale des Travaux Publics
(France [1991], Wed 2861)




Moskovskij Gosudarstvennyj Universitet Geodezii i Kartografii (MIIGAiK), Moscow (Russia)
(Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography)
Gosudarstvennyj Universitet po Zemleustrojstvu (GUZ), Moscow (Russia)
(State University for Regional Planning and Regional Planning)

The origins of both universities have common roots. It began during the reign of Tsarina Catherine II, when on May 25, 1779 an ordinance was promulgated that ordered the establishment of a surveying school. Shortly thereafter, the Konstantinovsky School of Surveying (Konstantinovsky Surveying School) in Moscow, which got its name in honor of Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich Romanov, grandson of Catherine II, who was born that year.
Since the day the school was founded, the government and Catherine II herself promoted and supported this educational institution, which underlined the importance of land management and especially of surveying training. The lack of land surveyors and the importance of land surveying for the state helped strengthen the surveying school. The existence of the school was strengthened by a further legislative act of 1796.
In 1819 the surveying school changed its name to Konstantinovsky College of Surveying (Konstantinovsky Surveying College). On May 10, 1835, the educational institution ins Konstantinovsky measurement institute (Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute) converted.
Since its inception, the college has been an important and sole educational institution for surveyors and a methodological and scientific center for surveying in Russia. The Russian tsars attached great importance to the surveying of their country. Tsars Nikolai II and later Alexander I often visited the surveying institute and were satisfied with the quality of the training. The institute was a closed educational establishment, the training lasted 4 years and was designed for approx. 200 students. From 1844 a six-year course and a number of new course contents (e.g. architecture, rock science) were introduced.
In 1849 the institute was given military status, which it retained until 1867. On November 15, 1916, by a decree of Nikolais II, the Konstantinovsky surveying institute was awarded the honorable title of "Imperial" for its services to the fatherland in cadre training. Until the revolution of 1917, the institute only trained young men. In the period from 1835 to 1917, the surveying institute trained around 2000 specialists, including around 1500 surveyors.
In January 1917 the first eight professors were appointed, in August 1917 the institute was divided into chairs for the first time - 7 in the geodetic department and 9 in the land management (spatial planning?) Department. In 1918 new statutes for the university were established. The training got a stronger political orientation, the institute was in Moscow Land Surveying Institute renamed. By a resolution of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR on the reform of higher education and higher education, the surveying institute was divided into two universities in 1930: the geodetic department became the Moscow Geodetic Institute (Moscow Geodetic Institute) - today's MIIGAiK, the soil management department for Moscow Institute of Land Management (?) (Moscow Surveying Institute) - today's GUZ.

The Moscow Geodetic Institute was in 1936 in the Moscow Institute of Engineers in Geodesy, Aerophotogrammetry and Cartography renamed (from this the abbreviation still used today is derived - MIIGAiK). In 1937 the institute consisted of four faculties - geodetic, cartographic, aerophotogeodetic, and geodetic instruments. F.N. Krassowski, who in 1936 calculated the dimensions of the Elilpsoid named after him, was the holder of the chair for Higher Geodesy at this institute during this time. On March 11, 1993, the institute was converted into a university and has had its current name ever since Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography. The university consists of 6 faculties from the fields of geodesy, cartography, photogrammetry, remote sensing and geomatics. A particular focus is satellite technology. The number of students currently reaches around 5000 people.

200 years of the Moscow Institute of Engineers in Geodesy, Aerophotogrammetry and Cartography - MIIGAiK
(USSR [1979?])

225 years of the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography (Russia [2004])

The one that emerged from the Moscow Surveying Institute in 1930 Moscow Institute of Land Management (?) (Moscow Surveying Institute) was incorporated into the Moscow Institute of Land Management Engineers (?, Land Management, Spatial Planning etc; Moscow Institute of Land Use Planning Engineers) - MIIZ - renamed. By decree of the Council of Ministers of the Russian Federation of January 18, 1991 on the program for the implementation of land reform in the territory of the Federation and the decree of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation of March 24, 1992, the Moscow Institute in 1992 became the State University for Spatial Planning and Regional Planning (State University of Land Use Planning) - GUZ - formed. Since its inception, it has trained specialists for land law, land consolidation / land management, soil science, geobotany, surveying, cadastral systems, architecture and spatial planning in rural areas.
Nowadays the State University is the largest specialized university in Russia for the preparation of engineers in the field of land management and land and urban cadastre. Surveyors, architects, lawyers, business managers in the field of land resource management and the land market, as well as specialists in property and real estate appraisals are also trained here. The university consists of 9 faculties. Every year it trains around 5000 students from Russia and abroad. More than 300 teachers work here, including 30 professors.

225 years of the State University for Spatial Planning and Regional Planning (Russia [2004])



Universitet po Architektura, Stroitielstwo i Geodesja (UASG), Sofia (Bulgaria)
(University of Architecture, Construction and Geodesy)

The University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (UACEG) is the oldest technical university in Bulgaria. The university was founded in 1942 as a high technical school. In 1945 it was converted into a state polytechnic. In 1953 the polytechnic was divided into several institutes; one of them was the Institute of Civil Engineering. In 1977 the institute was renamed the Higher Institute for Architecture and Building (VIAS). By a decision of the General Assembly, the institute was renamed again in 1990 as the University of Architecture, Construction and Geodesy. Official accreditation was given by parliament on July 21, 1995.
A postage stamp was issued in 1992 to mark the 50th anniversary of the university, at that time still under the name of the Higher Institute for Architecture and Construction:

50 years of the Higher Institute for Architecture and Construction
(Bulgaria [1992], Mi ...)



technical University of Vienna (TU Vienna), Vienna (Austria)



200 years of TU Vienna
(Austria [2015], Wed ...)








Laboratory for Geodesy, Landbouwhogeschool Wageningen, (Netherlands)
Wageningen University of Agriculture, today: Wageningen University

The Dutch postage stamp from 2017 from the series "Architektur Wiederaufbau" shows the Laboratorium voor Landmeetkunde or Laboratorium voor Geodesie (Laboratory for Land Surveying or Laboratory for Geodesy). It is a former laboratory of the former Wageningen Agricultural University (today Wageningen University). The designation "Faculteit voor Geodesie" on the edge of the field next to the stamp is incorrect.
After the severe destruction of the university buildings at the end of World War II, it was necessary to erect several new buildings. The land surveying laboratory was one of the first new buildings to be built. The building was designed and built in the years 1950-1953 by the Dutch architect Frants Edvard Röntgen in an aesthetic-functionalist style.
The main building with a large concave practice room was equipped with seven large windows and an observation tower. The clear view of the floodplains and the nearby churches was of central importance for the land survey. The tower room was used for triangular measurements and the platform above it for astronomical measurements. At the end of the sixties it became possible to measure length measurements with infrared rays and it was no longer necessary to look outside. The great practice room was only used with modern instruments.
At the end of the last century it turned out that the building was too small for its functions.The functionality was also out of date. In 1999 the Wageningen University Center for Geoinformation was relocated to another building. It was decided to sell the building. Since the sale in 2000, a number of companies have been established in the property. The building has had national monument status since 2007.

The Agricultural University in Wageningen was officially founded on March 9, 1918. It emerged from a municipal agricultural school. Since 1986 it has been called the Agricultural University. In 2000 the name was changed to Wageningen University.
Geodesy is not offered as a degree at today's Wageningen University. There are, however, in the Department of Environment and Landscape the master's courses "Geographical Information Management and Applications" and "Geo-Information Science".



(Netherlands [2017], Wed ...)



Tehnicke Visoke Skole, Zagreb, (Croatia)
Technical college

The Technical University in Zagreb was established in 1919. In 1956 the Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (then Faculty of Geodesy) was established.


100 years of the Technical University in Zagreb
(Croatia [2019], Wed ...)





Instituto Politecnico Nacional (IPN), Mexico City (Mexico)

The National Polytechnic Institute (Instituto Politécnico Nacional, IPN - Homepage) founded on January 1, 1936 as a unified technical college for technical professions by the Ministry of Education is the most important public center for technological higher education in Mexico. As early as 1936, the school accepted 13,000 students. In 1948 the first external campus was founded in Durango, and another school in Chihuahua followed in 1949. During this time, the IPN expanded its range of subjects, and in 1946 the IPN degrees were formally equated with the university title. The IPN comprises several schools at several locations and has been located in northwest Mexico City on its own campus (Metro Politecnico) since the 1950s.
The subjects offered at the university are divided into three faculties: Ciencias Físico-Matemátics (physics, mathematics), Ciencias Médico-Biológicas (medicine, biology) and Ciencias Sociales y Administrativas (social sciences, administration).
For the 25th anniversary of the university, a postage stamp was issued in 1961, which, among other things, also depicts a surveyor at the level:

25th anniversary of the National Polytechnic Institute
Mexico [1961], (Wed 1118)



The Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Lae (Papua New Guinea)

Papua New Guinea (PNG) University of Technology (Unitech) was founded in May 1965 as the PNG Institute of Higher Technical Education in Port Moresby. In 1968 the institute was relocated to a campus 8 km outside Lae in Morobe Province. In March 1970 it was renamed the PNG Institute of Technology. The institution gained its current status in August 1973 when it became a university. Unitech is the second largest university in Papua New Guinea, after the University of Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby, which specializes in pure sciences, arts, law and medicine. Unitech is the only technical university in the South Pacific outside of Australia and New Zealand.
Unitech offers training in around 10 different subjects, including architecture, civil engineering and surveying.
The following postage stamp from Papua New Guinea from 1967 is dedicated to the then Institute of Higher Technical Education (and especially probably also to the field of surveying):

Higher Education (Papua New Guinea [1967], Wed 107)



College of Engineering Guindy (CEG), Chendai, India

The predecessor of the College of Engineering, Guindy / Madras / (CEG) was the survey school founded in 1794. In 1859 it was converted into the College of Engineering. It is the second oldest engineering college in the world. The college was the first institution in South India to have a computer center in 1963.
In 1978 the college became a technical university. By a law of 2001 the Anna University was founded, which unites almost all technical colleges of the Indian state Tamil Nadu under one roof with more than 225 colleges. The main college of the university is still the College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG).
For the 200th anniversary of the College of Engineering, Guindy, a special stamp was issued in 1994 showing the building of the college. A special postmark depicting an old level ties in with its predecessor, the surveying school from 1794:





Warsaw Geodetic School, Warsaw, Poland

In 2016 the Warsaw Geodetic School (Warszawska Szkola Geodezyjna) celebrated its 100th anniversary - today under the name Technikum for Geology, Geodesy and Road Engineering (Technikum Geologiczno-Geodezyjno-Drogowe). On this occasion, the Polish Post issued a small edition (230 pieces) of a postcard which, in addition to the school logo on a black and white photograph, shows modern total stations and students doing surveying exercises on the school premises: