Can an atomic bomb destroy an asteroid?
Asteroids are not easy to destroy
You have to know that
- Asteroids hit the earth again and again. It is only a matter of time before another major impact threatens.
- What to do? Could the asteroids be broken up like Hollywood movies like to do?
- Not really, as a new computer model shows. Because that would require enormous amounts of energy.
It's a Hollywood-compatible plot, but unrealistic: you can't just blow up an asteroid. Because an atom bomb is not enough. Not even several. But what if you shoot a huge stone at the asteroid? Researchers at the American John Hopkins University have investigated this with a new computer model.
The computer model simulated the impact of a rock with a diameter of one kilometer on a 25-kilometer asteroid at a speed of five kilometers per second - that is, a full 18,000 kilometers per hour. In earlier computer models by other research groups, such an impact resulted in the asteroids being completely destroyed. But the more detailed program, which better depicts small cracks inside the giant, now shows that even such a large impact is not enough to destroy it. The core of the 25-kilometer asteroid survived the bombardment.
And not only that: The core even continues to exert gravity and thus collect its fragments again, which then form a stable chunk. The researchers discovered this when they let the computer model run longer and looked at what would happen in the hours after the impact. In this way, they also gained insight into how asteroids were formed. The researchers write findings that are also useful for any missions to extract raw materials on asteroids. Because the model shows that valuable materials from the inside can also be found on the surface after collisions.
- Have you ever felt mentally threatened?
- How much curl up
- How do you say hour in Tagalog
- Discourage school shootings bullying
- What does a VGA cable look like
- What are the best trap songs
- What is relief
- Will ReactJS still be widely used in 2020?
- Can insects be trained?
- Why travel journalism
- What is the future of Scientology
- Do you have it together
- You can sell your own fonts easily
- What is important when packing goods
- Which states have not ratified the constitution?
- Why do you think IQ is meaningless
- Deuterium can be called hydrogen
- Do people need a god
- What does MIT want from applicants
- Why not butter bread mold
- How do kings address their masters
- How does Angular Shadow use DOM 1
- How do you heal a neurosis yourself
- Is Trump a black swan