How do babies get their teeth brushed
Oral hygiene in the baby
The toothless smile is the most beautiful, new mums agree. Oral hygiene is also an issue for babies so that the smile is also beautiful later on. When should babies get used to daily dental care and what is the best approach? With Ms. Univ.-Prof. Dr. We asked Katrin Bekes, Head of the Pediatric Dentistry Department at the University Dental Clinic in Vienna.
+++ More on the topic: Babies 1st year +++
Playful oral hygiene
Oral hygiene can be started in a playful way even before the first tooth erupts. For example, special microfiber cloths that you can put over your finger are suitable for this. This is used to carefully wipe the chewing ridges and massage the gums a little. But a clean washcloth can also be used. Babies often find this very interesting and just suckle or bite on it. Playful care can begin shortly after the birth. Since the first teeth erupt between the 6th and 7th month, it is a very short period of time in which the baby should have his mouth cleaned in this way. The focus is on getting used to dental care. If the first tooth appears, a special baby toothbrush can be used.
+++ More on the topic: When the first teeth come +++
Does my baby need toothpaste?
Toothpaste is only used from the first tooth. If the child is not given fluoride tablets, a small amount of children's toothpaste containing fluoride should be used once a day. It is best to clean the milk teeth in the evening with children's toothpaste and in the morning only with water. After brushing their teeth, the child is not allowed to eat or drink anything. From the age of 2, the toothpaste can then be used twice a day. Children who receive fluoride tablets should only brush with a non-fluoride toothpaste until they are three years old. Seek advice from your doctor.
Why is the care of milk teeth so important?
The milk teeth will fall out at some point, but should still remain free of caries. Why? You have important tasks to perform. On the one hand they are necessary so that the food can be chopped up well, on the other hand they serve as placeholders for the teeth that follow. If the incisors have to be removed because they are broken, this is not only a problem for aesthetic reasons; Children without incisors can develop speech disorders because they cannot make certain sounds properly. If tooth damage occurs, decayed milk teeth must be treated in order to lay the foundation for permanent caries-free teeth.
When should the child go to the dentist for the first time?
Prof. Bekes recommends the first visit to the dentist from the very first tooth. It is mainly about educational work. This gives parents valuable tips on how tooth decay occurs, how to properly care for the small teeth and what to look out for in terms of nutrition. Keeping children's teeth healthy is one of the most important prerequisites for good oral health in the permanent set of teeth. Targeted caries prophylaxis can prevent painful consequences. That way, the beautiful smile can be kept for a long time.
+++ More on the topic: Nutrition in the second year of life +++
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Katrin Bekes
Interview with Ms. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Katrin Bekes, Head of the Pediatric Dentistry Department at the University Dental Clinic in Vienna
More articles on the topic
Initial equipment for the baby
Here you will find tips on what things you need for your baby in the first place and what you should pay attention to when buying.
Three month colic
Violent crying occurs in approximately 10-30% of all healthy newborns. The situation can be very stressful for the parents.
- How to start calisthenics without a gym
- How does YouTube review a copyrighted video
- Supports HTC Desire 828 supports 4G sim
- Where did Varun Dhawan study
- Bharat Ratna loses its meaning
- Audio transcription services are worthwhile
- What does Dubois mean under double consciousness
- What does Pole mean on my calculator
- Who are some of the best female dance actresses
- What if you are an orphan
- What is it like to be Turkish?
- Elio engines will be successful
- What does Halloween mean in the Bible
- What is the purpose of LinkedIn groups
- What is it like to study accounting?
- You were a happy child
- How do mothers deal with everyday stress
- Send televisions blue light
- Is the nail salon business competitive
- What is British filth
- Philosophy majors make money
- How did Hitler get popular support?
- Is laboratory grown meat beyond meat
- Who won this Go game
- Is a neck cramp curable?
- Should I open a lawn care business?
- Why are geeks so cliquey
- What features should Facebook add
- Why does America care about Israel
- Which startups are hiring data analysts?
- What is a QWERTY board
- What are the benefits of DuckDuckGo
- Have you counted your blessings today
- What do you mean by common bill