Are wireless keys for cars really safe?
Convenience with obstacles Theft Trap Keyless System - How to Protect Your Car
In winter no hassle with frozen locks, when it rains you can quickly get dry and start the car in seconds without having to put a key in the ignition. Radio keys, keyless entry or keyless go systems are a great convenience for drivers. But unfortunately not only for them. Even tech-savvy car thieves have an easy job with the start and unlocking systems.
This is how keyless entry systems work
With keyless entry you can unlock a car without having to pick up the key. It is also no longer necessary to start the car. All you have to do is press the start button. This is made possible by a proximity sensor that wakes the system from "sleep mode" and sends the on-board system to receive mode.
Why is keyless entry a security issue?
The so-called "comfort opening" is extremely convenient not only for vehicle owners, but also for technically savvy car thieves. Because the latter use the technology to gain access to the vehicle almost effortlessly by means of signal transmission. You can do this with radio range extenders even if there is a greater distance between the vehicle and the key.
Problem insurance: theft without a trace
A real problem for drivers. Because the thieves leave no traces with this form of car hacking. No splinters from broken car windows, no traces of paint from prying open the doors. No signs of burglary on the house to steal the car key. This makes it almost impossible for the police and insurance companies to solve a theft. The car is just gone. The owner usually gets the current replacement value of his car from the fully comprehensive insurance - if he or she has one.
Keyless - how to protect yourself from car thieves
- Choose a secure storage location for keyless keys
The key should not be left near the house or apartment door to minimize the risk of the signal being intercepted. This is especially true when the car is parked near the entrance area.
- Shielding the keyless key
Wrapping the keyless key in aluminum foil is not very elegant, not necessarily practical, but definitely effective. This allows the signals to be shielded and potential car thieves have no chance of intercepting them. In theory, the refrigerator is also a suitable storage location: it is not only well insulated from a climatic point of view, but also provides adequate protection against unauthorized access. The same applies to the microwave or a simple tin can.
- Shielding of the key with protective covers from the trade
The keyless protective covers that are now available in stores are more elegant and practical. They also reliably shield the key and protect against unauthorized access.
- Deactivation of the keyless function
Some manufacturers of keyless systems offer the option of temporarily deactivating the system. While this brings security, it also takes away the convenience and original purpose of the keyless system.
- Use of additional security systems
For vehicles with keyless systems, it is advisable to secure the car with additional safeguards such as a steering wheel claw. The disadvantage: with the quick start in the morning it won't work ...
The police advise to watch out for suspicious persons with briefcases when leaving the vehicle. But since the thieves' technical aids can now be quite compact, that does not provide 100% security either.
- Do you wish you hadn't been home schooled?
- When did Jainism separate from Hinduism?
- How are science, technology and society connected?
- Homemade eggs go bad
- Where were the first property rights granted
- What's the best torrent app
- Is physical evidence better than testimony?
- Is Pandora better than the earth
- Why is Andrew Scheer not trustworthy
- How does retail become heavily indebted
- How can we install the app on the smartwatch
- Why was Mark Papermaster fired from Apple
- Is Sajid Nadiadwala a producer or director
- What are hypotonic saline solutions
- Enjoy visiting Hindu temples
- How was Microsoft Encarta developed
- Need coaching courses learning management systems
- Is Python a scripting language 1
- What are the future Android phones
- Which images have changed your perception of reality?
- How's the parking in Herndon, VA
- Hurts individualism relationships
- How does Google know about me
- How do I repair my Wii u