How do I know my passport information
Police data protection: how free is the long arm of the law?
The most important information about data protection at the police in brief
- The police also have to Observe data protection when collecting, storing, processing and using personal data.
- In principle, it is allowed to save all information that relevant for the exercise of their sovereign tasks are (purpose limitation).
- Those affected can also contact the police make use of their right to information. However, the information obligation on the part of the authorities does not apply in every case.
Data protection vs. baton: how much freedom does the police have when collecting data?
Reports, personal checks, arrests, protocols, fingerprints - the police officers in Germany collect countless personal or personally identifiable data on a daily basis. By extensive directories you can also quickly find out about queries about people (e.g. owner queries).
One of the most important police databases is that common information system INPOL, which is coordinated and maintained by the Federal Criminal Police Office. DNA profiles, fingerprints, criminal files, detention and wanted files - The police need this data, but must also protect it particularly against misuse.
The collection and processing of a large number of personal data by the police makes data protection particularly important. On the one hand sensitive information must not fall into the wrong handsOn the other hand, not all data may be stored and processed as desired.
What now applies to the police with regard to data protection?
What personal data can the police collect?
The collection of information in INPOL is extensive and concerned not only convicted criminals or convicted traffic offenders. Suspects, witnesses, escorts, victims, missing persons - the group of people affected is large. It also contains information on individual criminal offenses.
In addition to INPOL, the individual federal states and institutions also have own data collections, for which the data protection, which the police must protect, can be based on the respective national law.
Does data protection provide the police with fixed deletion periods?
Are data not relevant anymore, these should no longer be archived or even deleted. Fixed specifications too Deletion periods are not specified to the police according to data protection. Instead, those responsible are encouraged to to check the data records for their topicality and relevance at regular intervals. The deadlines here usually amount to:
- 2 years in children
- 5 years for adolescents and
- 10 years for adults
These Deadlines begin usually with the day on which the last entry of relevant information about the data subject was made. If the check reveals that the requirements for storing personal data are no longer met, these data records must be deleted.
Grant requests for information to the police in accordance with data protection
According to data protection, data subjects whose personal data is stored and used have different rights. One of the most important: the right to information. You can also to the police assert.
According to data protection is the police obliged to provide information to those affected if
- they submit a corresponding application and
- there are no important reasons preventing the provision of the information.
In the information given by the police are according to data protection provide the following information:
- Information about the individually stored personal data and their origin
- Recipients of the data
- Purpose of storage
By exercising this right of information to the police, those affected can check whether the information stored is actually relevant or, if necessary, should have already been deleted. That gives them back some control over their own data.
You might also be interested in:
- How did you prepare for the GRE
- Lhasa Apso dogs are smart
- How is Visfatin related to diabetes melletes
- Which is the fastest self defense
- Whatever happened to Canibus
- Why are my outer labia hanging
- What's your best postcrossing experience
- Cut life like a knife
- Vitamin tablets are a scam
- How does the Indonesian political system work
- How does a smokeless fire alarm work
- What's your embarrassing erection story
- Chore Wars are men enough housework
- What are shrimp nutritional value
- Can a polymer engineer work at Schlumberger
- What are your consequences of the breakup
- How is poverty related to economic development?
- What does it really mean to be well rounded
- Is considered to be a creative art of writing
- Why is the Bill of Rights important
- What is a teacher's worst nightmare
- Big girls have a disadvantage when dating
- What will amaze you about Wolkenkuechen?
- How to download a paper