Who are the most famous art dealers
The ten most influential gallery owners
Various lists and rankings are published at the beginning of each year ... Forbes magazine recently published its ranking of the most important personalities in the art world, including many art dealers.
Unsurprisingly, this list of Larry Gagosian cited, with sales of $ 925 million generated in the gallery's eleven offices. Who could have predicted that he would become the undisputed art dealer in the world? Finally, Larry Gagosian's career began selling cheesy posters in Los Angeles. Today his list of artists is extremely prestigious and famous millionaires like S.I. Newhouse and Eli Broad are among his customers. But at the end of 2012, Yayoi Kusama and Damien Hirst announced that they would be leaving the gallery. And Jeff Koons also shows signs of infidelity towards Gagosian, because in May he will also be at the competing gallery of for the first time David Zwirner exhibit. Does this mean the end of Gagosian's domination?
Anyway, the competition between Gagosian and Zwirner is obvious. The gallery owner with German descent represents talented young artists such as Adel Abdemessed, as well as big names in contemporary art such as Dan Flavin and Donald Judd. With a turnover of 225 million dollars, David Zwirner is far behind Gagosian in fifth place - and on a par with the gallery Hauser & Wirthwho maintains a network of four galleries in Zurich. However, Zwirner achieves its sales with only three locations. It is already rumored that one day he could top the list ...
In second place follows Arne Glimcher with sales of $ 450 million. With six galleries now, he has Pace expanded into a true empire. He represents more of the top-selling artists than many other gallery owners. His son Marc (48) will probably take over the business one day. William Acquavella follows with $ 400 million in sales, even though he has not yet participated in the branch marathon of his competitors. His New York gallery specializes in 19th and 20th century art with artists such as Monet, Rothko, Degas and Lucian Freud.
In fourth place follows that L&M Gallery of Dominique Levy, the former director of Christie's Private Sale division, and Robert Mnuchinwho worked as an analyst with Goldman Sachs for 33 years. The successful team, whose turnover is 275 million dollars, has a concentrated knowledge of art sales and money.
After all, the list of the most influential art dealers, which is still very male-dominated, also includes a few women, including in 7th place Marian Goodman (84), whose sales are estimated at $ 150 million. Her wise and far-sighted judgments are well known, she discovered such artists as Gerhard Richter, Thomas Struth and Marcel Broodthaers.
Take up other places on the listBarbara Gladstone, Paula Cooper and Matthew Marks - all with sales of $ 100 million each.
Dominique Levy & Robert Mnuchin (L&M Gallery), Ivan Wirth and David Zwirner
- How do you get someone to trust
- Range Rover is owned by Ford
- Have you seen death
- There are good and bad questions
- Is photographic memory a legitimate trait?
- What is the cruel truth about puberty
- Which book did you like the most?
- Why people are always dissatisfied
- Why is it difficult to achieve simplicity
- What is sorting in C.
- Why does Russia see itself as the mother country?
- What is a mathematician's relationship to mathematics?
- The general assembly gets human jobs
- How's the parking in Herndon, VA
- Have Facebook likes helped someone in life
- What is your personal standard for happiness
- What is tree sickness
- Who coined the term collaborative consumption?
- Kiit is good for the IT industry
- Which insects are most dangerous for cats?
- What is the best acoustic guitar under 700
- What is a slip ring induction motor
- How many nuclear facilities does Iran have
- Can people develop wings?