How did medieval blacksmiths work
Author and functions
It is about the material from which swords were forged in the early Middle Ages. That is exactly what Roth intends to do. He is an experienced armorer and also practices the art of sword fighting himself. Born in Braunschweig, he knows in every respect what is important in production.
This makes him the ideal partner for Ulrich Lehmann. The research assistant at LWL Archeology for Westphalia is an expert on swords from the 6th to 8th centuries that were found in Westphalia as grave goods. There are 28 of them. One of them was found in three fragments in Beckum. Already in the year 1863. For the archaeologists a particular stroke of luck, as it turns out today. In contrast to many more recent iron finds, which were heavily affected by fertilizer and other chemical inputs, the metal of the Beckum sword is extremely well preserved.
That makes the piece a special research object. During its scientific investigation it provided such extensive data that it can now be reconstructed true to the original in Stefan Roth's “soul forge”. In order to analyze the historical weapon in detail, the archaeologists decided to take an unusual step. Apart from an analysis by computer tomography, a three millimeter thick disk was removed from the historical find. The secret of the double-edged blade, a so-called spathe, was elicited by means of metallographic and chemical tests.
The researchers found that the core of the weapon was made from eight half composite rods using fire welding. The two cutting edges were forged and attached separately. The experts found out about the material that it was iron with an astonishingly high phosphorus content, which tends to reduce the breaking strength.
After initial contact with the blacksmith's shop at Königsmünster Abbey, after the LWL forging project was advertised, the choice fell on Stefan Roth. At first he worked on the production of the metal alloy in the self-built racing kiln. A challenge that took a little more time than initially planned. Now it's time to forge the blade.
- What are the basics of programming coding
- Can you learn to be wise
- Is engaged to Milo Yiannopoulos
- Upload bandwidth costs for broadband connections
- What is the largest known membrane protein
- Why is this life not easy
- How can I increase the hotel WiFi speed
- Who would be your England manager now?
- Who designed Chartio com
- What is the best desktop CPU unit
- How is blockchain different for companies
- How are metallurgy internships at IIT Madras
- Why do people still go to shopping malls
- How were the space stations built
- Are people risk takers or risk averse?
- How was the Cold War waged
- Should I stop being a fagot?
- Can be made USB wireless
- How do I start a clothing business
- Is it worth it to be a writer
- Who invented the mantra Om Namah Shivaya
- What is the very first dinosaur
- What kind of pets do foxes make
- Laboratory-grown meat will be expensive