Where do police officers wear body cameras
After Ferguson: More body cameras for US police officers
President Barack Obama wants to support the acquisition of the body cameras in the next three years with a total of 75 million dollars (60 million euros), said the White House. The money will be used to help states and municipalities buy 50,000 mini cameras that police officers can wear on shirts or collars while on duty. Some places in the US are already using body cameras, and a test phase is underway in large cities like New York and Washington.
When the President discussed the situation in Ferguson with his cabinet, it was also a question of the extent to which police officers should be equipped with military equipment. A reform should be worked out within 120 days. Back in August, Obama ordered a review of the program that allows communities to buy firearms or armored vehicles from the Pentagon.
Riots after jury verdict
The white policeman Darren Wilson shot and killed the black youth Michael Brown on August 9 after an altercation in Ferguson. The city with around 20,000 inhabitants is part of the metropolis of St. Louis in the US state of Missouri. The death of the 18-year-old caused serious unrest. When the jury ruled last week that the shooter would not be charged, the riot broke out again.
Also on Monday, thousands of people demonstrated in several cities in the United States. As in previous rallies, they held up their hands to remind people that the 18-year-old was unarmed when he was shot.
Obama regrets deep distrust
Many blacks see the Michael Brown case confirmed their suspicions of being systematically harassed and disadvantaged by the judiciary and the police. President Obama has called on the people to accept the waiver of charges. At the same time, the first black president of the USA regretted that "in too many parts of this country there is a deep distrust between the police and people of color".
Obama hired his Attorney General Eric Holder to work with cities and towns to improve the relationship between law enforcement and African American communities. Obama admitted that previous working groups had been unsuccessful on this issue. This time it will be different, the US President assured. A task force will present proposals within three months.
Police officer Wilson, who shot Brown in Ferguson, had gone into hiding months ago for fear of revenge. He quit his job last week.
haz / sc (afp, dpa, APE, NYT)
- How much is Brian Tracy worth
- Clinical trials help patients
- How do cameras focus automatically
- What are America's major contributions to philosophy
- What a private military branch are soldiers
- Can someone become a ninja
- Why are there only four arithmetic operations
- What kind of language is C.
- Is TikTok more popular than Vine
- Loses Harvard to Stanford
- The best refractories for induction furnaces
- Has passed Medicaid expansion in Ohio
- Are Costa Rican beaches beautiful
- What is primary and secondary porosity
- How do Trello and Evernote compare
- Why astronauts can't whistle on the moon
- How is Christmas in Japan
- When were salads invented
- My hard drive dies 1
- Which foods taste good when they are handed over
- What is content knowledge
- Had fought Lord Rama with Indra
- Why does marriage seem so stifling
- Is there a nondeterministic sorting algorithm