What is a LP DDR3 RAM
How to recognize extra economical RAM
In the case of processors, economical operation is becoming more and more important - but not only for them. The main memory can also help the PC to use less power.
Current notebooks usually work with a DDR3 memory. It differs from the DDR3 in PCs only in the design of the RAM modules: Notebook memories sit on SO-DIMMs with 204 contacts, while the RAM bars for the PC have 240 pins. Both work with an operating voltage of 1.5 volts.
This is why the official DDR3L standard with a lower voltage of 1.35 volts has existed since 2010. It sits on the same modules as DDR3. The chipset and the BIOS must support this voltage so that the RAM runs with it. In most cases, DDR3L can also work with the usual 1.5 volts - but then you do not have a saving effect. DDR3L memories are also well suited for overclocking experiments: They run more stably at higher voltage, which enables a higher clock rate or shorter latency times.
Alternatively: maxing out RAM with aggressive timing
In notebooks, the savings effect from DDR3L memory is only slight. With tablets and smartphones, however, every milliwatt of energy saved counts. That is why mobile devices often rely on the even more economical LP-DDR3 (Low-Power DDR), which uses an operating voltage of 1.2 volts. In addition to the low voltage, the low consumption in refresh mode in particular means that LPDDR3 memories hardly put any load on the battery in standby mode. So that the RAM retains its content, it has to be rewritten at regular intervals (refresh): DDR3L needs 15 milliwatts (mW) for this, while LPDDR3 manages with 1 mW.
The most important advantage of the LPDDR3: It takes up less space - for example, the RAM can also be soldered directly onto the processor. This is the only way to make extremely slim ultrabooks, tablets and smartphones possible, but an LPDDR3 is comparatively expensive. That is why it is currently only used in top products such as the iPad Air, the iPhone 5S or the Galaxy S4. Intel's new Haswell mobile platform also supports LPDDR3. This is why the economical memory is used in the Macbook Air 13 from Apple - there already as an LPDDR3-1600, i.e. with the same clock rate as a DDR3. Most tablets and smartphones, on the other hand, have a slower LPDDR2-1067.
- Which is the best air conditioner
- Supports the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G
- Counts cholesterol in foods
- How can you lose your gray matter
- Who is Laura Ingraham married to?
- What are some incredible facts about Kerala
- What is the best brand for gaming laptops
- What makes works of art bad
- Why are your parents special
- How can Goku get stronger through fights?
- What are some relaxed songs
- Which laptop should I buy under 40,000
- Why does light attract smoke
- Who are reliable Andaman vacation arrangers
- Which books about goose skin are available on eBay
- What rhymes with air
- What are the StubHub fees
- What do you secretly love about yourself
- Who is the next president of the USA
- How do astronauts breathe during a mission?
- What are some interesting things about Ferrari
- How do I record an interview
- Narcissism can cause obsessive-compulsive disorder
- All IIMs offer agribusiness management