Farming is easy
Organic agriculture: Organic for everyone: It's that easy to feed the world population healthily
Organic farming is better for the soil and the groundwater, better for the climate and often also for the animals. All well and good, say critics. But what about the space requirement? Because by doing without mineral fertilizers and chemical-synthetic pesticides, the organic yield per hectare is somewhat lower compared to conventional farming. In other words, there is simply not enough arable land to feed everyone on earth. Especially since the earth's population continues to grow rapidly - by 2050 it could be nine billion - and the consumption of meat in the growing middle classes of Asia is only now picking up speed. Agriculture, say experts, will have to become 50 percent more productive by then in order to feed everyone. It won't work with bio, as is often heard.
That's not true !, scientists now say in a study published in the renowned journal Natur Communications. The researchers at the Swiss Research Institute for Organic Agriculture (FiBL) got support for their study from the World Food Organization FAO, the University of Aberdeen, the Alpen-Adria University of Klagenfurt and the ETH Zurich and do the math: World food could even be converted completely to organic - without taking up large amounts of space. However, the prerequisite would be that we do better business.
Less meat, less concentrated feed, less waste
According to the study's authors, we eat too much meat and other animal products especially in industrialized countries. Here it is called reducing. In addition, less concentrated feed with soy from overseas should be used for fattening the animals. Finally, greater efforts must be made to prevent food waste.
On the other hand, there is a threefold gain: fewer greenhouse gas emissions, fewer nitrogen surpluses (fertilizer and liquid manure) and pesticides in the soil and groundwater.
The authors of the study make it clear: Sustainable agriculture on a global scale does not work if we only change the production method. Everyone has to participate. There are enough reasons for this. In Germany, for example, meat consumption is almost 60 kilograms per person per year, twice as high as recommended by the German Nutrition Society - for health reasons.#Subjects
- How does the buzzfeeds algorithm work
- What is the EAV data model
- What does a unique opportunity mean
- Would you date someone who is not religious
- How are metallurgy internships at IIT Madras
- Where can I find furries near me
- What is Percolate's growth strategy
- How environmentally conscious are Uzbeks
- Can you explain DDos
- What are the best minor degrees
- When will Quora reach 100 million questions
- What are the characteristics of post-postmodernism
- How do I update Instagram
- Why is Turkey attacking Rojava YPG
- Whales have noses
- What do stockbrokers do
- Email content marketing is dying
- Did you do something improper recently?
- How was the genocide carried out in Rwanda
- Can block chain replace current insurance technology
- Children inherit the personality of their parents
- Bowing legs cause knee problems
- How can I bet friend online
- Why did the US underestimate Iran?