Nobel Peace Prize 2018 1
Nobel Peace Prize 2018: Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad awarded
When the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Prize Committee, Berit Reis-Andersen, appeared in front of the press on Friday at 11 a.m. in Oslo, there was no top favorite for the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize. The protagonists of the peace talks in Korea were in discussion, as was the United Refugee Agency Nations. The names that Reis-Andersen then announced had not been mentioned together before - Nadia Murad and Denis Mukwege.
Both fight sexual violence against women, albeit in different parts of the world: the human rights activist Murad in Iraq and Syria, the doctor Mukwege in the Congo. But the problem as such now occurs wherever the increasingly frequent asymmetrical wars are breaking every boundary of civilization. But the two arenas where the dissolution of boundaries is taking on perhaps the worst forms at the moment are those where Murad and Mukwege work.
Both, the committee explained to the award winners, had contributed in their own way to “making sexual violence in war more visible so that the perpetrators can be brought to justice”.
IS murdered Murad's family
The war against women reached Nadia Murad when IS terrorists overran her home village of Kocho in northern Iraq on August 3, 2014. They locked all women and children in the village school. Through the windows of the school, those trapped saw the men outside being killed. The massacre lasted less than an hour and 3000 people were murdered by the terrorists. Murad lost her mother and six brothers that day; a total of 40 members of her family died.
The terrorists spared Murad's life - but only to take them prisoner. The extremists drove the women to Mosul in buses, where they were beaten, sold, tortured and raped. After three months, Murad managed to escape from Mosul, hidden under a kind of burqa. A Muslim family helped her. The now 25-year-old made it to a refugee camp in northern Iraq.
- What is versioning in hbase
- What common mistakes do home sellers make?
- How can I factorize squares
- Who made rockabilly famous
- Statistically, who is better than LeBron or MJ
- What is the most American song of all
- What are non-communicable diseases
- What is the blue revolution for agriculture
- How many countries do not have democracy
- Who are your favorite movie psychopaths
- Can we wear jeans
- You could explain Obamacare simply and completely
- How can we dissolve our online life
- Which country has the most dangerous artillery?
- When do tsunamis occur?
- How do you deal with aggressive drivers
- What is a list of German phonemes
- How important is theater in education
- How is Connecticut governed
- How does art express itself?
- How do I behave unpredictably?
- Do Albanians really come from ancient Illyrians
- Why do websites tend to have video tutorials
- How are PIBM Pune placements for HR